Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Wien (Vienna)

I left Vienna this morning, and what a sad parting it was. I loved every minute in that city, despite sore feet and pouring rain.

Have you heard the song "Vienna waits for you?" It sounds so cheesy, but that is how I feel about it. Let me explain.
This is a city full to bursting with "culture", in the form of music, shows, art - the former seat of Hapsburg royalty, the city just oozes with it all. I went to see the Lipezzaner stallions in action at the Hofburg Palace on my first day, and it gave me such an impression of pomp and finery and correctness. An aloof sort of elegance. But as I experienced more of the city, I realized that it's not aloof at all - in fact, everything is made purposely very accessible, to everyone. This is when I decided that Vienna does indeed wait for you. Patiently, quietly welcoming. Not calling, not insistent - just waiting. And when you come, there is a wealth of art and beauty at your fingertips.

The cafés I encountered in the city were lovely - the sort of places where you have to try really hard to leave because they let you stay as long as you want and you have to make them bring you the bill. I had the most wonderful dessert (pictured below) with a light sort of chocolate mousse and merengue on top. It was heavenly, and my mmming and sighs of contentment drew some strange looks from the locals. But I didn't care, everyone and their brother should know how delicious this thing was!

The thing I loved most in the city was the Naschmarkt - love of my life, oh Vienna, I would live here just for this market! It houses a plethora of ethnic restaurants and shops, produce stands, and tiny stores with very specific wares. My favorite was a store just for vinegar. I don't know if it was infused or flavored some other way, but there was tomato vinegar, lemongrass vinegar, plum vinegar - you name it. The smell coming from this store almost knocked me off my feet, it was amazing. I tried to take a picture, but it doesn't do it any kind of justice.



Also pictured here: manicured gardens of the Schönbrunn palace, strange and rare citrus from said garden, a view from the train (going from Milan to Vienna), and a very bright and busy window display by Swarovski, featuring a lot of sparkling skulls, which I just thought was a bit odd.

2 comments:

  1. It sounds so lovely! I'm glad you had such a wonderful time there. What's up next?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoying the photos-the sky, wow...sounds lovely.

    ReplyDelete