Sunday, June 10, 2012

Cold Slovenian waters

After my day in Ljubljana I met a friend at the bus station, and we continued together to Lake Bled, an incredibly picturesque vacation spot in northwestern Slovenia.

Absolutely a resort town, this was not a place to absorb local culture, rather a relaxing detour with beautiful views, clear, cold water to swim in, and sun to bask in.

By the strangest coincidence, another friend of mine was in Bled at the same time for a philosophy conference. I met this friend in Ecuador, then a year later he came to my school to pursue his masters in philosophy, and now I run I to him in Slovenia! Things like this keep happening, and it has convinced me that the world is indeed a small place in many respects. Several years ago I ran into a High School acquaintance in a restaurant in Tokyo. A year after that I met a family in Mongolia that was from LA (as am I) and the two daughters attended the same college I did. One of them even lived a few blocks away from me.

Bled was a positively enchanting town, and we spent two days there. The grass was gloriously soft to lie in, under the sun and beside the lake. An obliging wall next to the castle on the hill provided us with incredible views (and another sunbathing spot). The brand-new Penzion we stayed in smelled of freshly made pine furniture, and the sound of crickets lulled me to sleep at night.

1 comment:

  1. Now I understand why only one day...ah, lovely, lovely...

    ReplyDelete