Monday, May 14, 2012

the how and the where

I leave on Tuesday for Switzerland - my sister is graduating from college, which is kind of a big deal, so I'm hopping on a plane and flying over there to crash on her couch and distract her from packing for a few days.

After all the graduation hoopla is over we're doing a family vacation in Cinque Terre, after which everyone will fly back home, leaving me to start my solo adventure around Europe. This trip is really the reason I started this blog, and now it's finally here! Well, almost here. So, as I'm finishing up my last minute packing and preparations, I thought I would write a little about how I plan on traveling, and some potential locations I might visit.

THE HOW

Two words neatly sum up how I want to travel: light, spontaneous. I have a backpack (larger than a school bag but smaller than a camping pack) and a large purse, and anything that doesn't fit isn't coming. I want to be able to walk all day with my "luggage" if I need to, because who knows if I'll need to? I also don't have too much planned. As of this moment nothing is scheduled except my departing flight. That means no reservations of any kind after I leave Italy. While I do have a rough "itinerary", it's more of an idea of what could potentially happen. I want to leave everything open to spur of the moment decisions. I am also staying in hostels (dorm style) to meet interesting people and save my money for the things that I care more about, like delicious food and opera tickets.

THE WHERE

Since I don't know for sure where I'm going yet, I'll lay out my rough guide. First Switzerland, to see my sister in her cap and gown. Next, Cinque Terre, to spend 10 days with my family. Then it's on my own, and off to... Vienna, Slovenia, Bratislava, Budapest, Krakow, Prague, Cesky Krumlov, Salzburg, Munich, Berlin, Copenhagen (?), Amsterdam, Brussels, Paris, and a big finish in the UK. I plan on WWOOFing for about 4 weeks at the end of the trip because it's an inexpensive way to extend my time abroad, not to mention an amazing experience all on its own.
The only certainty is that I'll stay in Europe and the UK the entire time, and that I am ending up in either England, Scotland or Ireland. Everything in the middle has yet to be decided, and you will find out as I do.

1 comment:

  1. Gahhh I'm so jealous and excited for your grand, glorious, marvellous adventure! I'll be expecting (and DEMANDING!) postcards. I'll be living vicariously!

    ReplyDelete