Thursday, December 27, 2012

BBC 6

Radio! Radio was a great invention. I'm only just starting to appreciate how wonderful it really is - especially here. BBC does several radio stations with no commercials, which is akin to heaven in my opinion. We have the radio on basically all the time. We are awoken by it in the morning (very loudly, I might add - my first morning here it scared me senseless, I almost fell out of the bed), we leave it on whenever we happen to be around it (which is most of the time) and we make a special effort to be next to it when a particularly sounding special is going to be on.
We like channel 6, which "brings together the cutting edge music of today and the iconic and groundbreaking music of the past 40 years" according their website. I guess that's as good a description as any. One of the DJs says that he tries to play music people like, and if you don't like what's on just wait for the next song. The sheer variety they play is mind-boggling (although there are a handful they play ad nauseam, like any radio station worth it's salt), and the specials they do are entertaining and wacky. One Sunday they did a show about casette tapes, and on Christmas night they did a dinner-themed show, which was thorough to the point of being organized by courses. One song was all about onions. I have no idea where they get this stuff, but it's pretty amazing. 
Oh, and a little side note for everyone - when I say "we", I am referring to myself and my beau, who I am currently living with. I haven't done much with the codenames lately, but here's another one - he will be dubbed Bo.

1 comment: